Back before I knew any better, I used to believe that ingredients like benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid were necessary to treat my acne breakouts. I had no idea the damage I was potentially causing my skin, not to mention only making my acne worse.
For the past 6 years, I have relentlessly researched, studied, and tested essential oils and how they can heal and regenerate the skin. I can honestly say that in that time, oils have changed not only my skin but my life as well.
I’d like to share some of my favorite essential oils that I feel are acne-fighting “superstars”. I realize that everyone’s skin is uniquely different, so what works for me, may not work for you. The best advice I can give is before slathering your face with an oil, always do a patch test to check for any reaction and know that certain oils need to be diluted in a carrier oil before application.
That being said, here is my list, along with some of my favorite products that contain these superstar oils…
1. Clove Oil – This oil is a pimple’s worst nightmare! It’s anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti-septic, as well as a powerful antioxidant. Clove Oil has also been found in clinical studies to disrupt Propionibacterium acnes, the bacteria most commonly associated with acne. It has also been known to heal scarring and hyperpigmentation from acne. A word of caution – this oil is potent and needs to be diluted in a carrier oil or you will burn your skin! Two drops in a base of jojoba oil (or carrier oil of your choice) will completely heal even cystic acne in a very short amount of time! 🙂
2. Lavender Oil – One of my favorite oils, lavender may be calming to the senses, but it is devastating to acne! This oil not only cures acne but can also help to restore already damaged skin! It is highly anti-bacterial, as well as calming to the skin, so it not only heals the blemish but soothes any irritation caused by the breakout. It can also neutralize any redness. I’ve tried this both “neat” and diluted and never had a reaction.
3. Tea Tree Oil – Probably the most popular and widely used oil for treating acne, tea tree oil is highly anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-microbial, and can not only kill acne-causing bacteria, but it restricts its growth as well. It also aids in alleviating any itchiness or inflammation associated with breakouts. Can be used both neat or diluted.
4. Sandalwood Oil – Used for centuries in Ayurvedic Medicine, this oil has amazing skin healing properties. It is anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and astringent, and can not only soothe and heal blemishes but can also help to fade scar tissue as well. Sandalwood is also emollient and helps keep skin hydrated. Should be diluted in a carrier oil.
5. Neem Oil – This oil is highly treasured in India for its many healing properties and like Sandalwood, has been used extensively in Ayurvedic Medicine. It is anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-microbial. It is also an anti-oxidant as well as being high in fatty acids and vitamin E. It can be used undiluted, but I will warn you, it doesn’t smell very good. It kind of has a ‘garlicky’ type of smell, so you may want to use it at night or in a blend of various oils. Neem has always worked wonders on any blemish I’ve ever had, so I can look past the stinky smell. 🙂
6. Geranium Oil – This oil is one of the best I have tried for oily, acne-prone skin, but it also has amazing anti-aging properties as well. It is anti-bacterial and anti-microbial, which makes it a powerful enemy to acne bacteria, and it is also astringent and cytophylactic which makes it great for toning, tightening, and regenerating skin. Another amazing thing about Geranium oil is that it is a powerful cicatrisant, which means that it prevents and heals scars as well as helps dark and age spots to fade and vanish. This oil is a skin-healing miracle in a bottle! 😀 Should be diluted before applying it to skin.
Favorite product with Geranium Oil – Skin Owl Geranium Infusion Oil
While there is a great deal more essential oils out there that are great for acne-prone skin, these 6 are my tried and true favorites. I have a separate list of my favorite anti-aging and scar-healing oils. 😉
Do you use essential oils to treat acne breakouts? Which are your favorites?
*contains Affiliate links